Skills Adviser - Automotive (Heavy Vehicle) Trades S4EG
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Skills for Economic Growth Program (S4EG) is a component of Australia's Education Support Program in the Solomon Islands (SI), funded by the Australian Government and implemented by Palladium. The strategic objective of the program is 'to strengthen the capacity of the nation's tertiary and skills sector to produce quality graduates who are in demand in the labour market'
The S4EG program is working with the Solomon Islands National University (SINU) and Vocational Rural Training Centres (RTC's) to develop industry driven skills courses in demand by local, regional and international labour markets. S4EG is also providing local Trainer skills, professional development and infrastructure support through an array of institutional strengthening initiatives.
We are seeking a Skills Adviser - Automotive (Heavy Vehicles) Trades. Palladium International is seeking expressions of interest from men and women interested in working in a challenging environment and developing the capacity and capability of local skills training providers in the Solomon Islands. The Skills Adviser will be responsible for leading the institutional strengthening and capacity building of these training provider partners.
The period of appointment for this position is from January 2019 to 31 December 2019, with an option to commence earlier. This position is employed under a full-time employment contract with Palladium due to the continuous period of work being in excess of the 6 months allowed for Short Term Advisers under Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Aid Adviser Remuneration Framework.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate. In addition an accommodation allowance and other incentives will be provided.
The Skills Adviser - Automotive (heavy vehicles) Trades will work under the direction of the S4EG team along with training institution partners to drive the planning and implementation of initiatives to help develop the capacity and capability of all the institutions to deliver high quality competency based skills programs which meet the needs of the Solomon Island labour market and which meet the requirements of new nationally (SI) accredited qualifications. In summary the position will:
- Support teaching staff at SINU and RTC's to implement initiatives that target the quality improvement of training programs.
- Support improvement initiatives around; curriculum and learning materials, infrastructure, teacher training and teacher skills development, business systems and management processes.
- Provide advice and support to strengthen partnerships with local industry and community and other local stakeholders as and when required.
- Develop and implement continuous quality improvement plans focussed on meeting provider registration standards and national course accreditation requirements.
- Support the implementation of proposed changes to the SI apprenticeship scheme including participation in industry forums and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Be a highly motivated self-starter with high level communication, analytical and team work skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills of competency based training (CBT) & assessment and workforce development practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in teaching and student learning resource development.
- Experience in developing and implementing training, assessment and quality improvement plans.
- Ability to work in contexts of cultural diversity and support a diverse team including expatriate and national staff, meet deadlines, write reports and keep records.
- Ability to coach and mentor Solomon Islander national Trainers and staff and awareness of and sensitivity to cross-cultural settings.
- Patience, tolerance and flexibility.
- Ability and preparedness to work with limited resources within a challenging environment.
Qualifications and Experience:
Specifically, we are a looking for people who can demonstrate through their application, a 'good fit' with the people, culture, environment and training providers of the Solomon Islands.
- Recent and relevant experience in developing and delivering CBT vocational skills programs, curriculum and learning resources and workforce development.
- At minimum, TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent.
- Relevant professional and industry qualifications.