Project Manager - Maharashtra State Skill Development - VAS
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleMaharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS), under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna (PMKVY 2.0), is implementing Chatrapati Rajaram Maharaj Entrepreneurship and Skill Development Mission in association with SIMACES Learning LLP, Pune (SIILC) and Palladium Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (PCIPL). 2,82,000 young farmers from 34 districts across the state, as a part of this mission, will first undergo a 3-day 'Group Farming Orientation Training' and then attend an 8-week 'Group Farming Promoter Bridge Course'. In first phase of this initiative, a total of 6 districts, Nagpur, Vardha and Chandrapur in Vidharbha, and Latur, Beed and Nanded in Marathwada will be covered.
The National Skills Development Corporation
has tasked the Partner Implementation Agency
(PIA) to achieve the vision described above. PIA is comprised of three delivery partners who are jointly responsible for delivery of desired outputs and outcomes:
- Maharashtra State Skills Development Society (MSSDS) oversees program delivery and ensures mobilisation of local government agencies, participants and assessment providers.
- SIMACES Learning LLP (SIILC) delivers the training and Bridge course and manages seamless field operations through coordination with local government agencies.
- Palladium Consulting India Private Limited (PCIPL) is responsible for Strategic Planning, Project & Quality Management, Project Operations and Support, Project Monitoring & Evaluation, MIS Platform & Management and Stakeholder Management at the central office
We seek to integrate small-scale farmers into farmer groups with the aim of it leading to improved use of good agricultural practices, including use of goods, services and better access to off-takers, which will eventually contribute to improve increased productivity and incomes for rural farming communities.
Reading materials has been developed for the entire RPL orientation and Bridge program. The farmers in addition to being provided the group farming on boarding kit are also given the academic content that is delivered during the RPL & bridge sessions.
Through the Value Added Services (VAS) component of the programme, MSDP seeks to nurture inclusive agri-business models that offer potential of financial and social returns to market actors and smallholder households. MSDP seeks to do so by:
- Undertaking market diagnostics and value chain appraisals.
- Identifying value chain constraints that are causing inefficiencies.
- Co-creating and trialling different business models with a range of different market actors, from national agri-businesses to local market actors such as Farmer Producer Organisations of Companies (FPOs / FPCs).
- Buying down the initial risk and addressing the high start-up costs associated with innovation, e.g. through the provision of cost-sharing grants.
- Building the capacity of market actors such that they have the skills and understanding to secure benefit from the business models and the changing market environment.
- Facilitating linkages between businesses and informal enterprises, including FPOs / FPCs.
- Liaising with market actors and smallholders about what works (and what doesn't work), for whom, how and why, and helping partners to adapt business models where relevant.
- Promoting uptake of viable business models and liaising with government stakeholders where necessary about the policy environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic and operational management of all aspects of the program
- Ensure successful delivery of services, and ensure those services are consistently of high quality
- Provide strategic and technical direction to staff
- Participate in, or lead (when directed to do so) strategic engagement with partners
- Oversee the ongoing development and implementation of program planning and management systems, monitoring and evaluation and stakeholder relationships
- Participate in all key discussions with MSDP Steering Committee and Programme Management Committee and respond to all requests for information in a timely fashion
- Ensure on-time delivery of all required program outputs to a high quality standard
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with the client, program stakeholders, and within the contractor teams
- Oversee the establishment and operation of all program teams with all necessary staff and operational resources
- Lead all program staff in the active pursuit of social inclusion, equity and ethical standards including attention to gender, disability, child protection, anti-corruption and participation
- Take responsibility for the performance and management of all program staff.
- Coordinate all project predations and logistics with MSDP Operations team
Key Selection Criteria
- At least 10 years or more experience in strategic leadership and senior management of complex programs, ideally relating to economic growth, capacity building or fund-rising.
- Demonstrated skills in effective communication and collaboration with stakeholders from many different perspectives, including government official and private sector partners
- Demonstrated capacity to manage staff and build teams across multiple locations, cultures and language groups, working respectfully and in a way that builds staff capacity, commitment, ownership and performance
- Proven capacity to develop, manage and oversee significant budgets
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing circumstances
- Demonstrated understanding of development and developing country contexts
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to negotiate with a variety of different people and to communicate complex issues in plain language
- High ethical standards and a commitment to demonstrating integrity and professionalism
- Post-graduate level qualifications in economics, business administration, marketing, agricultural studies, finance, social sciences from a reputable university.
- Strong interpersonal skills to be able to work with partners and in teams.
- Fluency in English and (optional) Mahrati.