MDF PNG Country Program Technical Adviser ( MSD/QI)
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
At MDF, our teams work with businesses, associations and governments in Asia Pacific to help farmers and workers thrive. We use a market systems (MSD) approach to achieve long-term, lasting growth and create sustainable jobs for poor women and men.
Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE) is central to our work on the ground, and our teams in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan are dedicated to ensuring that our activities benefit women and girls.
MDF is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swisscontact.
In Papua New Guinea (PNG), MDF aims to foster broad-based growth beyond the resource sector, focusing on agricultural and economic diversification.Role:
The position will be responsible for providing strategic guidance to the MDF PNG management team on the PNG portfolio, measuring progress through robust Monitoring and Results Measurement (MRM) system, developing capacity of the PNG country team in market systems and DCED compliant MRM system, Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE), disability and inclusion.
- Support the development and management of a portfolio of interventions to generate pro-poor growth to achieve MDF's development objectives.
- Lead, manage and mentor the CT to implement a market systems development approach in line with the program's strategic objectives.
- Understanding the DCED guidelines for results measurement in order to be able to conduct monitoring and results measurement in line with these principles.
- Maintain, in collaboration with the Quality and Inclusion Director, a results measurement system in line with DCED guidelines and relevant for WEE, with complete and up to date Intervention Guides and a clear research calendar.
- Support Country Teams to ensure WEE and inclusion strategies are integrated and clearly articulated in all relevant MDF documentation, including intervention guides, monitoring and assessments, strategy documents and results chains.
- Ensure that all technical staff understand inclusion strategies and actively apply them to the design, management and monitoring of partnerships.
- Ensure MDF's Environmental Guidelines and Checklists and overall environmental management are compliant with relevant Australian guidelines and national legislation of PNG.
- Ensure cross-cutting themes are incorporated in all relevant MDF documents and support the identification and design of suitable interventions where needed.
For detailed TORs click
- A degree in economics, anthropology/sociology, agricultural sciences, international development, research or related fields.
- Proven qualitative and quantitative research skills, including demonstrated complex field research in MSD or a related development approach in areas such as productivity, poverty and social norms, sustainability and resilience.
- Extensive practical experience in the use of the DCED Standards for Results Measurement; experience at a management level in this field is highly desirable;
- A proven track record in implementation and oversight of a DCED-compliant MRM system.
- Excellent critical analysis, synthesis and English language skills (written and spoken), combined with the ability to translate complex findings and ideas into simple, clear and actionable content.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated capacity to constructively engage with DFAT, development partners and stakeholders.
- Willingness to work in a challenging environment and travel extensively within PNG.
Applications should include a response to the position requirements. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single document. This is LTA position with ARF classification C2/C3.